Intro. to Traditional Stained Glass Panels
This beginner course will teach each student how to make a basic stained glass panel by learning how to design, cut, grind, foil, and solder an individual project. The course will be taught over 3 days, with each day focusing on certain skills and progression of your project:
Where: The Hot Spot @ Rainbow Art Glass’ Warehouses
Age Minimum: 16 years old and up
Note: All materials need to be purchased at least one day prior to 1st class
- Learn about all the tools/terms that will be used
- Learn how to cut glass using hand cutters
- Choose pattern from one of Rainbow’s supplied inventory
- Choose glass for your project
- Cut your pieces from your pattern
- Learn to use grinders and demonstrations with band/wire saws
Date: Saturday, February 20th, 2021 10-2pm
- Finish grinding all pieces
- Learn how to wrap your pieces in copper foil
- Learn how to apply flux to your foiled pieces
- Learn how to solder your project
Date: Saturday, February 27th, 2021 10-1pm
- Discuss about the different types of framing
- Learn how to cut, miter, and solder framing
- Choose patina color and learn how to apply
- Polish finished piece for take home
- Discuss finished pieces and any questions by students
Course Fee: $99.95 total for all 3 days
What to Bring: All of these materials can be purchased at our warehouse for discounted prices for students! (Feel free to bring your own tools if you already have them)
- Glass Cutter – Carbide Wheel
- Metal Running Plier
- Soldering Iron 80W or 100W
- Spool (1#) 60/40 Solder
- 1 Roll of 7/32″ Foil – Copper or Black Color
- Grozier (Combo) Pliers
- Small Bottle of Liquid Flux
- Flux Brush
- Foil Stick for Burnishing Foil
- Black Marker and White/Silver Marker
- Strip (6′) of 1/4″ U Zinc, Copper, or Brass (only need 1 strip, but any of these metals are fine)
- Approx 2 square feet of colored glass (scrap glass in our showroom is perfect to use
Approx Cost for above materials – $70 (most of cost is iron, cutter, and grozier which will be good to use for many, many projects).
Discounts on all products after the class or when picking-up your project (some exceptions apply).
Questions: Please contact our office at 732-681-6003. Enrollment is limited so contact us ASAP to hold your spot.
COVID-19 Protocol: Please do not attend the class if not feeling well. (See below regarding cancellation/refund policy) Masks must be worn by all students and instructors throughout the entire course. Temperature checks will be taken at the door and sanitizing materials (Hand Sanitizers and Alcohol based cleaners) will be available to everyone. Workstations/tools will be sanitized prior to each course and all students will be separated by 6 feet per social distancing guidelines.
Cancellation Policy: Must cancel spot for class 7 days prior to the event for a full refund. If the spot is canceled 1-6 days before the event, you will receive a credit towards a future class. If cancelled less than 24 Hours before the event, it will be handled on a case by case basis.