Intro. to Stained Glass – Lead Panels (Tiffany Style)
This intermediate level course will teach each student how to make a basic stained glass panel by using the lead caming technique. You will learn how to design, cut, grind, lead, cement, and solder an individual lead project. The course will be taught over 3 days, with each day focusing on certain skills and progression of your project. Basic stained glass experience is required.
Where: The Hot Spot @ Rainbow Art Glass’ Warehouses
Age Minimum: 16 years old and up
Note: Students must have materials at least 1 day prior to first class.
Date: Saturday, May 04, 2019, Time: 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Brief history on Lead Caming usage in stained glass as well as the tools/terms that will be used
- Review how to cut glass using hand cutters
- Choose pattern from our supplied options
- Choose glass for project
- Frame-out the project
- Cut your glass pieces from your pattern
- Review how to use grinders and demonstrations with band/wire saws
Date: Saturday, May 11, 2019, Time: 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Brief discussion on properties of Lead and the related tools you will be using
- Cut and fit all the Lead into your pattern
- Learn how to solder your project and clean all flux
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2019, Time: 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Discuss why Lead panels are cemented and the different types of cement
- Cement all your Lead pieces
- Choose patina color and learn how to apply
- Polish finished piece for take home
- Discuss finishing techniques and materials (jump rings, wood framing, etc…)
Course Fee: $99.95 total for all 3 days (or take any of them individually for $45/class)
What to Bring: All of these materials can be purchased at our warehouse for discounted prices for students! (Feel free to bring your own tools if you already have them)
- Pick pattern from one of the many available in our showroom
- Glass Cutter – Carbide Wheel
- Soldering Iron 80W or 100W
- Spool (1#) 60/40 Solder
- Lead Dyke Plier
- Metal Running Plier
- Small Bottle of Liquid Flux
- Flux Brush
- Black Marker and White/Silver Marker
- Strips of Lead (after 1st class, you will decide what size lead came you want ot use)
- Approx 2 square feet of colored glass (scrap glass in our showroom is perfect to use
Approx Cost for above materials – $65 (most of cost is iron, cutter, and grozier which will be good to use for many, many projects).
Discounts on all products after the class or when picking-up your project (some exceptions apply).
Questions: Please contact our office at 732-681-6003. Enrollment is limited so contact us ASAP to hold your spot.
Cancellation Policy: Must cancel spot for class 7 days prior to the event for a full refund. If the spot is canceled 1-6 days before the event, you will receive a credit towards a future class. If spot is cancelled less than 24 Hours before the event, the deposit will be forfeited.