Fusing with Frits & Textured Molds
This hands-on project workshop will be taught by accomplished artist Justin Sanchez. Each student will be making their own personal piece using one of the frit molds below. Justin will instruct you on how to apply frits to the textured, embossed molds. He will discuss shading techniques to obtain different effects along with how to apply base layer for thickness.
Part 1 –Discussion, Design, and Cutting (4 hours)
- Discuss terminology such as how “glass” melts together and firing schedules
- Design and layout help from Justin
- Cutting base glass to properly fit a mold
- Learn to apply colors in different layers to create depth and contrast in a textured mold
- Working with frits, sifters, powder vibe and spoons to apply color to mold
- Discussion about the multiple steps between fusing and a finished slumped vessel
- Load projects into the kiln, answer questions and critique
- Discuss ways of displaying the finished projects – metal stands, rubber feet, hanging tabs, etc…
Some of the photos below of our sample projects have been fired in the kilns a second time over a slumping mold. This service is available for any of these projects, but not mandatory as some of these designs are meant to be flat. If anyone is interested in slumping their project, please discuss with Justin during class and he will quote the price for this secondary service.
**Discounts on all purchases**
Rainbow staff will “fire” your project for pick-up at a later date. Justin will answer all questions and ensure everyone leaves with the inspiration to continue to make beautiful pieces of fused glass!
**Professional Development certificates available for Educators.**
**AENJ Members receive 10% discount off registration.** (Please mention when signing up)
Date: Saturday, November 17th, 2018
Where: The Hot Spot @ Rainbow Art Glass’ Warehouses
Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Fee: $69.95 per student (includes working supplies and coffee/drinks)
Age Minimum: 12 years old and up
What to bring: Your creativity!
** Come with your family,friends,spouses for a fun day with art glass!
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20